Ray Charles - “The Genius of Soul”
Ray Charles was a brilliant musician. He had the most unique voice in popular music. He was an important figure who left a lasting impact on the world.
Through his singing and piano playing he helped invent soul and R&B music.
There are few inspiring facts about “The Genius of Soul”:
- Despite losing his sight at the young age of 7 due to glaucoma, Ray learned composition, classical piano, organ, trumpet, alto sax, and clarinet while in school. He also learned to read and write music in Braille.
- At age 18, he moved to Seattle with only $500 and formed his own band.
- Over the course of his nearly 60 year career, Ray has one 12 Grammy Awards, received the Presidential Medal for the Arts, and was named a "Living Legend" by the Library of Congress.
- Ray's "Georgia on My Mind" was made the official state song of his native Georgia.
- Being a pioneer of soul music, and his ability to blend different genres together, he is known as "The Genius of Soul."